Come, Follow Me
“… follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.”
2 Nephi 31:12
About the Song
Words by John Nicholson
Music by Samuel McBurney
Arranged by Sally DeFord
This song is a part of the music program for the Primary (the children’s organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) for 2019. Since many of you have asked, here’s an accompaniment that differs from the standard hymn.
This score includes:
- melody for children’s voices
- a piano part that does not play the melody (at least, not consistently throughout)
- an optional obbligato for beginning flute
- optional congregation/organ on the final verse
Because the accompaniment does not consistently play the melody, you will have to use your own judgment to determine whether it works for your Primary children.
Some notes on how to use the score:
- All the verses are included on the score for convenience only. That’s probably too many verses, so pick and choose.
- Verse six adds the flute, congregation and organ (all are optional), but you may choose to substitute the words to any other verse.The organist may play from this score or from the standard hymn transposed to D major–just use the transpose function on this page. The piano continues with the organ and congregation. The congregation sings from their hymnbooks, #116.
- The flute obbligato is very simple. I have included the part both in the score and separately on a single page. For the sake of keeping it easy, the separate flute part omits the first 35 measures of rests and the repeat endings. You’ll need to cue your flutist well.
- I have also included a version of the flute obbligato in C major that may be used with the hymn played straight from the hymnbook.
The recording below is a piano-only track designed for four verses.
Sheet Music Downloads
Spotify, Soundcloud (inc. free downloads)
“Come, follow me,” the Savior said.
Then let us in his footsteps tread,
For thus alone can we be one
With God’s own loved, begotten Son.
“Come, follow me,” a simple phrase,
Yet truth’s sublime, effulgent rays
Are in these simple words combined
To urge, inspire the human mind.
Is it enough alone to know
That we must follow him below,
While trav’ling thru this vale of tears?
No, this extends to holier spheres.
Not only shall we emulate
His course while in this earthly state,
But when we’re freed from present cares,
If with our Lord we would be heirs.
We must the onward path pursue
As wider fields expand to view,
And follow him unceasingly,
Whate’er our lot or sphere may be.
For thrones, dominions, kingdoms, pow’rs,
And glory great and bliss are ours,
If we, throughout eternity,
Obey his words, “Come, follow me.”
Don't see what you want here? Try one of these great sites:
(Affiliate links. Use them if you’d like to help fund this site.)